Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Tomorrow is Steve's birthday. Can't believe it, but he's turning twenty nine. We were joking last night about our age difference, and even though I've always dated older guys (I've done much worse than 6 year differences), he's never dated a girl that was more than two years his junior. We figured that the year I was in eighth grade, he was a sophomore in college...LOL.

I went out at one in the morning to get his birthday gift. Like most guys I know, he loves video games and one time when we were at the movies, they advertised Final Fantasy XII and he happened to mention that he wanted to buy it. Being a video game dummy, I enlisted the help of other guys and found out that it was coming out on 31st. Apparently, there was a possibility that it would sell out, and not wanting to take any chances, I went looking at 1 in the morn before the rest of the world woke up to go looking for it. I'm very proud of that small accomplishment and no doubt he'll love his present.

After lots of procrastination, I finally made dinner reservations for tomorrow night at my all time favorite Italian restaurant. He's never been there, but I hope he'll love it as much as I do. I just feel really bad that he decided to cancel dinner plans with his parents so he could go out with me. I haven't officially met his parents (been avoiding them like the plague, and I know he's been avoiding mine too, even though they keep asking when I'm gonna introduce him), so I didn't think it was appropriate to have a big happy family dinner. His friends are having a birthday party for him over the weekend, so he decided to just go ahead and spend the night alone with me. Mostly because we haven't seen each other in almost two weeks now, and I'll be going out of town the following day for another week.

On another note, I'm attending a funeral on Friday afternoon. The only funeral I've ever attended for a family member was my grandfather's and the last funeral I went to was in 2000 when one of my teachers died of AIDS. I have no problem with dead bodies (seen a lot of cadavers in recent years) but this is a different kind of funeral. The guy is being cremated and I know this is really really dumb, but I couldn't help but wonder whether we get to watch the cremation. That would be a little creepy, but I don't know which is worse; watching the cremation itself or being handed ashes and storing them in the house ("Meet the Parents" comes to mind here). Anyway, I'll buy flowers and hope for the best. I hate funerals....ok, I doubt anyone loves a funeral, but you get the point...

10 comments:

egm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
egm said...

How interesting! I have a buddy who would have turned a year older tomorrow but sadly passed away earlier this year. And his name was Steve too!

Quintessence said...

have fun with the bday festivities...
no, they don't let/make you view the cremation unless it is your request (and in my experience that's reserved for immediate family) if that is any consolation

Ichiena said...

All the best with the festivities - the birthday that is!

@egm - what an analogy to share with us.....

Rista said...

This is just wrong! video games at 29? Folk must move on to higher cerebral thangs... (she says, tut tuting away) Anyway, I'll never understand the pull video games have on guys (leaves, shaking head)

bomseh said...

go rista. even at 26 i don't play video games, now this guy at 29??? and he has a girlfriend! hee!

call me crazy but i prefer funerals to weddings. i never fail to attend funerals of people i know (used to know), missed two last year though but it's only coz i was (i'm) away.

Princess said...

Have fun celebrating Steve's b'day!!

SisBigBones said...

@egm...I never know what to say to people when they lose someone. Sorry? Not really, it doesn't help. As long as you keep his memory alive and hold onto the good times you shared.

@quintessence...thank God! But, why would anyone request to watch someone they love get burned? Just sounds so wrong...

@Ichiena & princess, thanks, will probably blog about it, unless nothing extra-ordinary happens. Will try real hard to behave :)

@Rista, maybe it's an American thing. At first when he used to tell me he's playing video games, I thought it was strange. But as it turns out, it's a very "normal" behavior among most guys (and a few girls), especially my workmates. It seems that the only deterrent is having a family and not being able to play as much as you would have liked. Some things are best left for the youngsters, but if that's how he chooses to spend his time, why not? I can kinda understand the addiction though cuz he taught me how to play "Resident Evil" and I actually love that game :D

@Bomseh, are you serious? That's a new one, someone liking funerals more than weddings. It's ok, I'm like the only person I know who LOVES going to the dentist. I do it 3-4 times a year :)

Jadekitten said...

Have a FAB time at the b/day thingy...

Up until 2 years ago I hadn't attended any funeral...ever.... Then...well, lets just say the ones I've attended since then have more than made up (????) for those other years...

Thx for passing by mine...

Anonymous said...

Do have a good celebration. Age difference does not matter, not to me at least. So long as you get on, you should be fine.

Nice gift. I love video games too! An addict actually.

Cremation is my preferred way for my body to be disposed of but my parents would want not part of that, not that I asked. I hate funerals too.