Wednesday, March 28, 2007

It is Good to Snoop!

My first few posts on this blog detailed my very first snooping experience where I actually stole Steve's phone, bought a charger, and read his texts. I felt pretty psychotic back then, but that didn't stop me from snooping around a second time. Actually, this time was pure luck. I've been so caught up in my emotional problems for the past few months mpaka all I could see was the total support that Steve has afforded me, totally ignoring anything that he might have said or done to raise an eyebrow.

Last week, we happened to be at my fav coffeeshop just chilling when he asked to use my laptop to check his email. He did and when he was done, I shut the computer off and we left for dinner. I didn't touch my computer again until last night. I got off work late and just needed to go sit at a coffeeshop and de-stress before heading home for the night. I got to the coffeeshop and took out my laptop to check emails. As soon as I clicked on Yahoo! mail, I found myself in Steve's inbox. "What the hell?!" I thought. Usually, once you close the window, Yahoo! automatically logs you out. I was about to sign out of his account and into mine when a thought occured to me. When on earth will I ever find myself logged onto Steve's email account with him nowhere in sight? This was too good of a temptation and even an angel couldn't have resisted.

So I started going through his mails, most of them junk and uninteresting. There was the occasional email from an ex who was now married, but there was nothing surprising there since he'd already told me most of the stuff I read. His inbox was cluttered with useless junk mails and I was bored. I almost logged out when I thought to check his sent mails. I mean, there's no junk in the "sent" folder, right? I saw a couple of emails he'd sent me, friends and then one lone name caught my eye. His last ex before he and I started dating. We've had a fight over this ex once before and the last I heard, they weren't even talking. Then here was this one email he'd sent with this line,

"You know I hate it when you start acting like that. It's been over 24 hours since you called me and I'm tempted to text you but I know I can't and it's driving me crazy. There, are you happy now? I'm going crazy..."

Yes, I have those lines burned into my skull. I was so furious! This was sent on Feb 10 of this year. The weekend when he told me that he needed some time alone to think. At the time, I thought my emotional issues were overwhelming him and he needed his space. Kumbe! I picked up the phone and called him. Nothing. He finally called me at 10:00 p.m. sounding all tired. I was so mad I could barely talk. But, I did manage to ask him if he was "talking" to someone else. He got really defensive and that only served to make me more suspicious.

So, in a few minutes, his ass is gonna show up here and he's going to explain what the hell he thinks he's doing. And, no, I'm not jumping the gun here. The circumstances leading to his break-up with this chick were fishy to begin with. For crying out loud, he'd even proposed to her (I gathered this piece of info from the texts I'd read back in the day, a fact he denied and somehow talked his way out of).

I hadn't thought about this ex-chic of his for months. Infact, trust was no longer an issue and we were both getting pretty serious with this relationship, to the point where our families are involved. The thing that sucks even more is that today is actually our anniversary, what a bummer. I'm gonna have to ask for his phone and see the kind of texts he's been exchanging with this chick. I'm so mad right now. We're definitely headed down the break-up lane.

While my reading that message was totally accidental, this time around I don't feel guilty for finding myself thumping through his inbox. It's gonna save me a lot of trouble. To think we were even considering ways to make the relationship work when I move out of state in fall...bullshit! So for all you in relationships, don't have qualms about occassionally peaking at your significant other's phone/email. I don't see it as a matter of trust or whatever. If I don't have anything to hide, I'd care less whether or not my guy reads my texts/emails. Shit, here he comes.....

22 comments:

modoathii said...

okay, your boy is thick. clearly he aint over the ex. i wanted to say how not nice it is to go through people's inboxes and smses but yet again...

checking your guys inbox/phone is a sign of distrust and when you check it already means you don't trust him. and you need to break it off. just the thought of not trusting him is good enough to break up. bila trust, bila love. and i know. it's painful coz everytime he/she is away your mind is wandering and wondering and....it's crap. hit the road. hatawacha.

Anonymous said...

Yours is a tight situation. Maybe you should write him mail with only this,

"You know I hate it when you start acting like that. It's been over 24 hours since you called me and I'm tempted to text you but I know I can't and it's driving me crazy. There, are you happy now? I'm going crazy..."

Then see his reaction. Then hit the freeway.

egm said...

Pole for the mess. That's a sticky situation you're in for sure. I like Bomseh's idea of sending him email with those words.

Farmgal said...

I wish exes never existed..then again we'd all be dead.
All the best!

Anonymous said...

If you feel that you have to keep tabs on him once in a while by "mistake" or on purpose you might as well drop him because you cant keep an eye on him forever adn when you get suspicious you are just going to end up finding more and more chances to snoop on him.
That just reminds me why I want to stay single. Best in luck sorting things out!

Juju said...

I agree with Aco, if u have to have to watch someone no point in being 2gether... .

Funny though, I had a similar experience with an ex about 3yrs ago. We had been dating for 2yrs and I knew his email password, although I never used. But I need an address from him, and he wasnt available so I went into his email.. and found love letters to another girl. It had been a month.. I dropped his ass like a sack of potatoes. Broke my heart, but I got over him. :-D

gishungwa said...

You need to think carefully, long and hard about all this knowing what you know and make a decision whether to stay and fight or run. Then pray and talk to someone you trust about it. I think only you would know what to do yet without trust a relationship is worthless. U are in my prayers....

SisBigBones said...

You know, Steve and I have been through a lot together, but even I can't deal with exes, no matter how crazy I am. So today, we finally broke things off. I could physically feel my heart break into a million little pieces, and what peeved me more is that she is studying to become a lawyer...arrgghh, why can't she have been some good-for-nothing bitch? So after a night of clubbing (no drinking), and plenty of flirting, I feel like it's not the end of the world. If nothing else, there are a lot of cute guys out there. Besides, I'm only 23. Too young to be this serious about anyone. I need to shake Steve out of my system, but pathetically enough, I can see us being friends. That's my biggest weakness.

Thanks guys for all your comments. Without trust, there is no relationship that will ever work. My problem is, I can't trust ANY guy, not after all the shitty experiences I've had with every single guy I've ever dated. Let's see how long I'll remain single...

jm said...

Waa, that's what you call getting caught!!
I want to know how this transpired when/if you confronted a guy ... all the best though ...

Milonare said...

Pole my dear
Snooping is a no-no. Like the rest say, its a sign of distrust. Worst case, you'll just make the guy more careful i.e. deleting texts, sent items etc
The best thing about being comfortable single is that you are not scared to get involved cause if it doesnt work you know youll be alright single. That way you neva have to take anyone's sh8t.
Wishin you strength durin this hard time...

Jadekitten said...

Awww.....

(((((((SBB)))))))

I feel what you say,about feeling your heart breaking into a million li'l pieces, and not knowing if you can ever patch it up again. I guess to have broken up with him is kind of wiping the slate clean...Now you can have a fresh new start, even if it's alone.

And that biz of going through emails, texts...at some point I used to avoid it, but there's nothing more illuminating that the stuff you sometimes find there.

I think relationships, or rather love, sux!

Anonymous said...

That was not fair at all him stringing you along like that. As soon as you have doubts about your trust in your partner its time to call it quits. Take some time off to patch it up. Get in touch with yourself and find out what makes you happy. Been there done that - thought my heart would never mend but its slowly coming together. ((((((((sbb))))))))

Acolyte said...

I'm sure you shall be back on yoru feet in no time! Take it easy and have fun!

Quintessence said...

SBB..reading your post brought on many a forgotten memory...I trust you did the right thing to protect your heart from foreseable mess in the future. I'd like to encourage you not to let this experience be your 'litmus' test for all men...there are some out there who are trustworthy and who do love and care deeply and are committed to relationships...
I can only speak for myself when I say learning to trust can be a 'defragmentation' of self and at some point we all need to learn and re-learn to trust...keep your head up doll!!!

Klara said...

Wow! I feel u so much espec since I went tru this juzz last year! I had da pasword n curiousity got better of me! I did'nt think I could be able 2 pull tru! Was so devasted! Bt time is da best healer! n soon u will be over it!
The guy never deserved u!

CiikuMrsBabes said...

oh WOW.....

First... hope you are sawa and all that good stuff.

Second... mad e-hugs your way.

Third... it all works out in the end! {that soungs cliche but best believe... it is the TRUTH!}

Nakeel said...

(((SBB))) pole sana I know that feeling. Hope you get what you deserve and be happy forever.

Juju said...

how are u doing now? Like movie buff semas it does get better. the challenge is overcoming these moments. and vile u sema, u r young with your whole life ahead of you!!

((((hugs))))

Princess said...

F**k!!!!! Pole about that girl!!! You deserve better!!!

bantutu said...

That was one ride ha? And the way we'd zoeaad Steve...Hihihihi!! Kumbe he had some roaches up in his store eh? Well if you aren't all hugged out come here...Awwwwww!!! How did the flirtomatic endeavours end...You's a strong girl Utafurahia B-train ushtuke!!

SisBigBones said...

All I can say is, I can't believe I'm alive...lol. This thing called love is quite funny. Sometimes I think about it and I burst out laughing. It's amazing how the heart works. No amount of logical thinking can change how you feel. I cried everyday for a week, couldn't eat, couldn't sleep more than 2 hours a night. And now? Well, life goes on. It helps that I took a trip to visit my cuzos and I've been hanging out with my friends everyday. What I thought would be a clean break-up has turned into quite the opposite. I'll blog about it this weekend.

Thanks everyone for the moral support. It's funny how much of a difference faceless names behind a computer screen can make :)

Anonymous said...

You're making a mountain out of a mole hill. I don't know how long you've been with him, but we all go through moments of self-doubt, insecurity and confusion. This guy took the time to sit with it that weekend, which is totally logical, he needed to clear his mind and decide where his loyalties were. In the end he decided to come to you...to YOU. So he had a moment of being human of stupidity. It's not any more deceitful or harmful then say...checking his emails.

I hate to break this to you, but you why do you want to doubt his trust. Look at the bigger picture here, does he support you the way you want to be supported? Does he show you love and kindness? Does he trust you? Do you deserve to be trusted? Forgive him for his moment of whatever, and realize he chose you. Cause if you don't, you will end up alone and continually creating a pattern of suspicion that will carry you forward into every relationship. Ask why this matters so much to you? If you really sit with it, why does it matter? Cause you can't trust him? Ask deeper, if you can't trust him so what? Ask deeper, what is this really about, perhaps you will dig far enough to find your own fear, insecurity or need to heal. And once you find this, then you will be honestly able to resolve what is really happening to you. Otherwise you're just going to loose the good that you have.


Good luck.