Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Loss of My Fave Author

First thing I do every morning when I wake up (no matter how late I'm running) is log onto CNN and at least glance at the headlines. This morning was no different, but I was dissapointed to read this story. I remember the first time I picked up a book by Sidney Sheldon. I was in class seven. I'd read all the Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Universitys that I could handle and I was getting bored with the same old predictable story line and like any series running too long, the authors were starting to run out of ideas. The result was that Jessica and Elizabeth Wakefield were becoming more and more alien (werewolves? For crying out loud!) In my quest to find a different kind of author, my friends introduced me to Mills & Boon books and Danielle Steele. Needless to say, I wasn't impressed.

Then one day, I happened to pick up a book titled "Stars Fall Down" by Sidney Sheldon. There was no ounce of romance in that book and it was so captivating, I stayed up all night reading it. That weekend, I went to some bookstore in city center (centre?) and bought my very first copy of a Sidney Sheldon book: "Nothing Lasts Forever". That's how I became hooked. Over the years, I made it my mission to read every single book he ever wrote, and to that end, I think I succeeded. He was such an awesome writer, always keeping you in suspense until the very end. While most mystery/thrillers usually become predictable by the time you get to the middle of the book, Sheldon did a pretty good job of keeping you clueless until the last few pages, and that's not an easy feat.

And so today, I take the opportunity to acknowledge the great contribution Sheldon made to my literary life. I'm sure I'm not alone out there when I say that on many days, I killed my boredom by burying myself in one of his books. As a result, my imagination grew and I sure put it to good use. Yes, I won an award for creative writing in my senior year of high school. Rest In Peace Sidney Sheldon. I will miss you as one of my favorite authors of all time.

16 comments:

modoathii said...

(i'm looking left and right for don q. Yaani i took her spot)

sheldon was a master in a class of his own. he inspired many (i never won any prize coz the others were all inspired too) i join you in sending my kondoo-lenses.

RIP!

Quintessence said...

RIP!!!

Anonymous said...

the good thing with blogging is that news and info get to you somehow.
i just learnt from your link that the guy is dead. i can say that i was an avid reader of Sheldon. the last book i read was "Tell me Your Dreams" in 2005. i wonder whether he wrote any other after that. ok, sawa,i'll google or wikipedia next time before i ask a stupid question.
anyway, may his soul rest eternal peace. mahala pama peponi ama how do they say it? zangu ni risala za rambirambi. i'll miss his writing.

@ modo - wacha uchali man!

Anonymous said...

Sheldon was the Dean Koontz of thrillers. He wrote books that made for great reading but that didnt live long in memory at all. R.I.P Sidney!

Princess said...

I love Sidney Sheldon's work!! RIP Sidney!!!

Anonymous said...

RIP sidney Sheldon! My first real novel was by him read lots of his books.

Trybless said...

Amen to that. started reading him at the age od 11 through to my adult hood, he took me to hongkong, budapest, taiwan, berlin, London, warsaw and so many countries. Will never forget Angel the fat assasin from Bueno aires, Never had a clue till the end. RIP Sheldon, you work remains

Jadekitten said...

RIP Sidney Sheldon. I have my mum to thank for gettng hooked on him, and at a very tender age. He played an integral part in my reading-growth. Like farmgal, I think my first real novel was by him too.

And I just read in the local dailies that his 18 books were translated into 71 languages. 71!!!!!

Half 'n' half said...

Hi Sis
I LOVED sidney sheldon. I stayed up one night reading Are you afraid of the dark.
Any luck on posting?

Unyc said...

@ Modo (i never won any prize coz the others were all inspired too)
....lol...but ur very gd anyway.

@ Sis Just learnt from u about Sidney Sheldon. He was a very talented writer and passionate about his work. R.I.P Sidney

Anonymous said...

RIP.

Modo, mistress will have words, ngoja i go get her!

Petstan said...

Sidney Sheldon is among those who Inspired me to be a writer. I really like the opening quotes in 'The Stars Shine Down' and 'The Sands of Time'. (Oh how I love quotes!).
Such unforgettable chyaracters like Noelle Page, Constantin Demiris and the business savvy Lara. May God rest his soul in peace.

See Transition - Sidney Sheldon @ my blog.

bantutu said...

Unaimajin venye God amemsumbua amuandikie Risto...Ati "Ei bana(Err body gets Bana!) are u thru coz am tired of all this singing...I need something interestin' to keep bizzi.."
Am sure he's at a betta place...

Chatterly said...

I read about his passing :-( sad sad. RIP Sidney

bantutu said...

Waitin...

Supaflyshi said...

Oh My, I had no idea that Sidney was gone. I read ALL hsi books. My fav was memories of midnite. He inspired me to do a lot of writing. RIP sindney.